Search This Blog

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Saturday Morning Tomato Progress

I've checked out my Mighty 'Mato plants this morning, and I can almost see them grow.  With the weather getting warmer and more sunshine (although it's overcast again this morning) in San Diego, CA, both plants seem to be thriving.

I have two plants (got a combo pack but gave one plant to a friend).  One I planted in the ground in a good sunny location, the other I put in a very large pot on the deck in another sunny location.  I probably focused on the soil more with the one in the pot, since I had to start from the beginning there.  Then to my dismay this morning, I discovered I wasn't being fair because I had put a large cage with 4 tiers around the potted plant, and only a 3 tier cage around the one in the ground.  Fortunately, they're still young enough I could change that, so I did.  Now I can be more unbiased about the size, and the one in the ground is definitely still larger. These plants like room to grow.


From all I know of 'Mighty Mato plants, the larger cages are important, because they grow so large.  I'm hoping now that my 4-tier cages will be enough, because the plants are growing like crazy.  On the "grounded" one, I had picked off some early blooms, but now I'm seeing some in the "potted" plant.  I think I'll leave those, as the plant seems to be strong and growing well.

In Southern California we're having a late spring, so everything is a bit behind where it would normally be for May 12.  But these mighty little guys are surpassing the rest of the garden!

Subscribe to our blog to get continuous updates on my Mighty 'Mato plants! Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment