Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Recipe: Garden-Fresh Pico de Gallo & Guacamole

Nothing tastes better than garden tomatoes picked fresh off the vine. Sweet, juicy and full of flavor, home grown Mighty 'Mato tomatoes are far superior than tomatoes sold in grocery stores (and a lot cheaper in the long run). I absolutely love fresh tomatoes, and love to eat as many as possible during the summer when they're at their peak of freshness.

Thanks to a little site called Pinterest, I've been gathering several recipes to prepare me (and our followers) for a bountiful summer harvest of Mighty 'Mato tomatoes. I'm thrilled to add some of these recipes to my arsenal of tried-and-trues like marinated tomatoes and fresh tomato bruschetta topped with goat cheese.

In addition to the new recipes, I'll for sure be making my Fresh Pico de Gallo and Guacamole this summer. This is my go-to recipe and a staple for summer parties and snacking. I like to serve it with blue corn or pita chips, or if I'm feeling really healthy, fresh carrots and crisp, sliced cucumbers. All the measurements are approximate. Feel free to add more or less of any ingredient to your liking!

Garden-Fresh Pico de Gallo
  • 3 Mighty 'Mato Big Beef or Brandywine Tomatoes
  • 1 bunch fresh cilantro
  • 1 white onion
  • 3 cloves fresh garlic
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • Garlic salt and cracked pepper, to taste
If preferred, remove seeds and pulp of tomatoes. Chop tomatoes to a fine dice. Dice cilantro and onion. Crush and chop garlic cloves. Toss all ingredients in a bowl and mix. Top with lime juice, garlic salt and black pepper and mix. Set in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.


Guacamole
  • 3 ripe avocados
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • Sea salt and cracked pepper
  • 3 large spoonfuls of pico de gallo
Mash the avocados into a bowl and mix with lime juice, salt and pepper.  Fold the pic de gallo into the avocado mixture until incorporated. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment